Monday, June 18, 2007

If love be rough with you, be rough with love.

I adore Romeo and Juliet. I really do. We read it in English class this year, and it was truly the highlight of that class. (My teacher looked like a bird and tried very hard to be "hip".) But the other night, I watched the Leo DiCaprio version with some of my friends. What an odd, odd movie.... But I was reciting lines right before the characters did. My friends were getting pretty pissed.

Me: "Peace? I hate the word, as I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee."
Tybalt (on TV): "Peace? I hate the word....."
Friend 1: "If you don't shut up, I'm going to gag you with this tube sock."
Friend 2: "And I will help."

Whatever. They just don't appreciate my reciting abilities. Psh.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Enjoy yourselves NOW, because you will be dead in like 4 days. Just warning you.


Oh yes, I worked at my church carnival the other day too. I have to get a certain amount of service hours every year, or else I get held back. Literally. My school is pretty hardcore when it comes to service. But anyway, I face painted with my friend Erin, who is an art genius. No lie, she is so incredible, the Art IV students are jealous of her. So it was rough face painting with her. This exchange actually occurred.

Me: "Oh, hello [little 5 year old girl], what do you want on your face?"
Girl: "I want a unicorn."
Me (thinking): Dammit. Those are so fricken hard.

At this same time, Erin was also painted a unicorn on another little girl's face. She finished. The girl stood up. I finished. The girl I had been painting stood up.

Girl: "Heyyyyyyy!!!! Her unicorn is way better!!!! I want her to paint a unicorn!! Your unicorn stinks!!!"
She then proceeded to WIPE THE UNICORN OF HER FACE and walk over to Erin, who looked slightly stunned and just started painting her unicorn. And I thought my unicorn was pretty damn good! Not as good as Erin's, OBVIOUSLY, but nothing ever is.
I hope that little girl dropped her cotton candy on the ground later. Muahahaha!!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Oh YEAH, it LOOKS innocent NOW, but just wait until you try to do something nice for someone and paint it on their little cherub "angel" cheek. It will bite you in the ass.

It's frustrating having such talented friends.

I did manage to paint a stellar peace sign on my cheek, however. It was so ridiculously hippie-like, what with my hippie dress, ratty blonde hair, and headwrap. EAT THAT, PREPSTER SCUM!!!!!!!!

Seriously, Urban Outfitters has THE coolest head things. I highly suggest you check them out.


Wow, ok. Hopefully you did not read that thinking, "This girl is a total head case." So on to the original intent of this post: (Drumroll, please!) THE WORST BAND NAMES EVER.

Now, I do not condemn the band's music based on their name. Many bands with bad names have good music. Many bands with good names have bad music (here's looking at you, Hellogoodbye....). It's just the way it is. Perhaps one day I will focus on bands with good names. But not today, today I feel like being negative and persnickity (is that spelled right? Meh, who cares.)

First up, quite possibly the worst band name EVER:

1) The The
Did the creator have Tourette's, or something? Or were the members just really plastered one night and liked how the repetitive words sounded? Honestly, this name is just so bad, it hurts my brain.

2) The Salads
The Salads? They HONESTLY couldn't think of anything better???? How is salad rock n' roll? HOW????? Answer: It is not.

3) The Toasters
This is kind of similar to the Salads. A toaster is like the most uncool thing EVER. This name is so lame, the creator does not deserve to live.

4) !!!
When I first saw this name, I thought, "WOW. They are trying WAYYYYY to hard to be clever." I had no idea how to pronounce, until someone told me you click your tongue three times, which seriously is the most retarded thing ever. That's not a BAND name, that's the sound I make when I am trying to emulate a clock.

5) A Cool Name For a Band
OMG YOU ARE SO FUNNY AND CLEVER AND CREATIVE!!!!! NOT.

6) Jefferson Airplane
DON'T HIT ME, Jefferson Airplane fans. I'm sure their music is good, but their name sucks. Maybe there's a story behind it, but band names shouldn't have to be explained. They should just beeeeeee.

7) Cobra Starship
Maybe any band name with an aircraft-related word in it bugs me.....

8) The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Oh, wow. They make good music, but.... how....do these three words..... relate.....? Red and jumpsuit, ok. But apparatus??? Out of which band member's ass what THAT one pulled???? Apparatus is seriously the strangest word....

9) Cute Is What We Aim For
Some people think it's clever, but I just think it's trying wayyyy to hard to be clever. Your band's name is LAME, Shaant! And so is yours......


So there's my list. Any additions?

oh, righty-o, I'VE BEEN TAGGED BY MY VOGUE.

RULES: Each player starts with 7 random facts/habits about themselves. People who are tagged need to then report this on their own blog with their 7 things as well as these rules. They then need to tag 7 others and list their names on their blog. They are also asked to leave a comment for each of the tagged, letting them know they have been tagged and to read the blog.

So here's my list of Random Facts about myself

1) I was the Geography Bee champion for my diocese in 8th grade, and I came in 2nd in 6th grade. Go on, ask me where the Atlas Mountains are. I DARE YOU.

2) I am a ridiculous, crazy Harry Potter fan, and have been since I was 7. I am both anticipating and dreading the final book...... If Harry dies, I swear to God, I am going to hunt down J.K. Rowling. I actually CRIED on my 11th birthday when I didn't get my Hogwarts acceptance letter. I KNEW it wasn't going to come, but I had that smallest shred of hope... Don't laugh at me!

3) My second favorite city that I've been to (besides New York, well New York and San Francisco tie) is Victoria, BC. I went there two summers ago and just fell in love with the city. It wasn't too big, and there's all this water nearby (I took a ferry from Washington to get there, IT WAS SO COOL), and it just has this odd charm about it. I really want to go there again. Plus, Hot Hot Heat is from Victoria, which is just an added bonus.

4) I am afraid of death, rape, low-flying planes, clowns (the "Fluorescent Adolescent" video is soooo creepy!), open heights (like a cliff or the open-air observation deck of a building, not a plane) mice, and all other rodents. Spiders and other bugs don't bother me one bit, but mice freak me out to no extent. All my friends are always like, "Anna! Spider! Get it!" So I just pick it up and go put it outside. No big deal.

Oh, right, my name's Anna. Hello, nice to meet you. Typing "A" is getting annoying, because it's a whole separate word, not just an inital. But whatever, I'll probably end up doing it anyway, because that's just how I am.

5) My heroes are: My mom, my grandparents (they've been married 51 years), Jim Halpert (who happens to be my soul mate....) and Greta Salpeter, the pianist from The Hush Sound, for being in a kick-ass band, having a kick-ass voice, and playing the piano kick-ass-edly.

6) I have absolutely NO idea what I want to do when I grow up, or what I want to study in college. I mean, I love philosophy, writing, literature, foreign languages, feminism, anthropology, sociology, and music. But I have no idea how to turn this into a career, or even how to find a major that encompasses all of that. I detest the guidance counselor for making me look through college books and informing me that I will most likely not go to a school outside of Pennsylvania. Screw her. I am number one in my class, and I WILL get a scholarship and I WILL leave Pennsylvania and go to a liberal arts college around Boston. So there. Screw her.

7) To Kill A Mockingbird changed my life.

Um, er, I guess I tag the only people that have ever commented on this blog... so, Ashcan Rantings, Discotheque Confusion, If You Can't Think Of Anything Nice to Say..., Calleth, and urm... well, that's really it..... CONSIDER YOURSELVES TAGGED.

yayyyyyyyyy.




Wow, that was like the longest post I've ever posted. My GOD, it took me a long time. You better have read it! Or I will growl at you. I'm kidding. I'm not that creepy.

Listen to: "Falling"- Ben Kweller

Anna

3 comments:

Emma said...

BRILLIANT POST, you genius girl, you. I have to check out the Toasters! You are too funny and I love your writing style. Rom+Jul- my secret pleasure.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, you are sorely mistaken. I am marrying Jim Halpert, and we are having an open marrage where Dwayne and James Dean are free to join in the fun. Oh! Another epically stupid band name: Panic! at the Disco. I hate that exclamation mark. I vant to keeel it dead.

Snookums said...

First of all, thank you for the title of that post.

You have no idea how many times I said that in my English class because, in my opinion, Mercutio is pretty bitchin'.

And in regards to the fact that you think no one reads your blog, I do!

Of course, you obviously did not know that at the point that you wrote this, which is okay.

Anyway, love your blog.
Keep at it!
=)