Thursday, June 12, 2008

I can't stop loving British men.

Hello, kittenfluffs!

I hate kittens. Ick.

But anyhow, a few weeks ago I was rotting in front of a computer screen on the computer and I came across this gem of a quote:

British actor Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley in the Harry Potter movies) won't be moving to LA anytime soon because he 'can’t be bothered with airhead actresses'.
According to Rupe, he met Lindsay Lohan last summer and wasn't impressed as, "she talked about herself a lot." Grint went on to recall that, "She (La Lohan) said she was going to win an Oscar before she turns 25. I just kept thinking, ‘But you can’t act’.”




How can you NOT love Rupert Grint? HONESTLY. Give me one thing that might detract from his sheer adorable-ness. Yeah. I couldn’t think of one either. He has a rad accent, I could picture him, like.... ok this is cheesy, but I could picture him helping someone pick up their books if they dropped them or something along those lines. Or help an old lady across the street. That seems in his realm. His hair is red and he calls it "ginger" which is even better, he personifies Ron Weasley in a way no one else ever could, and he seems perpetually sleepy, which is kind of cool, too.

And he's so right about La Lohan that I wish he weren't so nice and would have told her to her face. I wanted to say something witty here, but nothing's coming. Oy.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


My second story involving a British man can be filed under "school library." Oh, what? You don't have a "school library" file? That's unfortunate. So I was in my school library for a class, flipping through the "New Books" rack-y thing (yes, that is the proper terminology), just blahblahblah, stodgy old classic blah and then I flipped across this book, and it was like a lightning bolt. Across my dark sky. Ohhh. Simile. (When I was younger, I always got "simile" and "smile" messed up. I'm sure this is a common mistake.)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


YES. IT IS WHO YOU THINK IT IS.

ALEX FREAKING TURNER. ON A BOOK. IN MY SCHOOL LIBRARY.

And not only is it Alex Turner, but it is an utterly orgasmic picture of Alex Turner, wearing a hoodie, with his "I'm a sexy rock god" face on. I wanted to go to my librarian and vigorously shake her hand in gratitude but I thought that might freak her/my fellow students out a bit, so I restrained myself, instead staring at the book for several minutes, and flipping through it, I discovered that it was a kick-ass book, filled with pictures of some of my favorite bands. BESTEST LIBRARY SCHOOL BOOK EVAAAAAAA!

And while she is not British OR a man, I can't stop LISTENING to "Mercy" by Duffy who is, in fact, a Welsh woman. She has an incredibly intriguing voice, plucked straight from the girl groups of the 60s, and "Mercy" is just really catchy. I lurvs it.


Also, listen to: "Black Hole" by She & Him, a lovely country-pop ditty, sung with finesse and cheer by Zooey Deschanel, as I'm sure you all know, since you are all just so hip and awesome.
And "Holland, 1945" by Neutral Milk Hotel, a staticky, horn-filled oddity which is actually about Anne Frank. Look up the meanings of the lyrics, it's really fascinating.

Au revoir, IT'S SUMMMMMMMMMMMMER!

peace.
a.

9 comments:

Sister Libby said...

I LOOOOOVE British people.
And Alex Turner is...mmmm...wonderful.
And I like everything that you posted about.

Anonymous said...

ahh another harry potter addict like me!

Cicely said...

Right, not to freak you out but everything you have talked about in this post I love!
I am a massive harry potter nerd, would like to marry Alex Turner and love she & him and the neutral milk hotel song.
Also lol at perpetually sleepy and the Lohan comment.
Anyway...

Fiendish said...

Alex Turner is just yummy. The fact that he now graces the cover of a book is probably the best news I've heard all day, so... thanks for that :)

(On a side note: Wales is in Britain!)

terren said...

RUPERT! cutest person alive. and me too, i like your taste in music, etc.

Sister Libby said...

I do play volleyball...I set. Hitters are so much cooler...
And it's funny that you don't like kittens. I like kittens, but not cats.

Sister Libby said...

Third comment....
But the author of that book, her last name is Skancke. Is that pronounced "Skanky"? I dunno. I thought it was funny.

Snookums said...

Haha, awww.. I'm British. But not a man...
I hate to disappoint you so.

Regardless, I wrote you a poem.
Yes, quite a Shakespeare-loving' chick am I.
Only, it's not a sonnet. Which is what Shakespeare wrote....
Anyway.
Without further ado:

"Kittenfluffs, a snazzy word.
A word you may not have heard.
I hate kittens, too, dear A.
I hate them oh so much, I say.

We all will give our beating hearts
To Rupert Grint. About the tarts
of Hollywood, he'll give a quote.
He'll say they just don't float his boat.
"LaLohan can't act." He's surely right.
This ginger lad has wit and might.
Corny perhaps, but he's the sort
Who'd pass right by the b-ball court
Into the market parking lot
And help a lady in a knot
Of plastic bags weighing her down
Across the busiest street in town.

My school library is a pain.
It's not that I'm stupid or perhaps even vain.
No, not at all, reading is fun.
The problem's the librarian's an evil one.
She scares the bejeezus out of me.
She's a lady you don't wanna see.
She'll hunt you down and screech at you proudly
About what you've done wrong; She'll do this quite loudly.
And most of the time, you've done not a thing.
But it doesn't matter; she'll make your ears ring.
At the end of the day, you'll want to leave.
Even the professors find her a peeve.

So Arctic Monkeys might just be
In my oh-so-nearby school library.
How will I know? I never shall
'Cause the librarian's a nasty gal.

I listened to Duffy ages ago.
I'll tell you now, your brains will blow
If you listen to her too much.
She's one of those one-hit wonders or such.
After a few months, you shall see.
I bet it'll be you "begging for mercy".

I do, in deed, know this Zooey
chick.
She was in 'Elf'. What a Christmas flick!
I'm gonna check out "Holland, 1945".
I must admit, they sound quite live.
Anne Frank was amazing, so I'd like to listen
To a song that makes this tragic story glisten.
Neutral Milk Hotel, you say?
I'll keep that in mind when I look it up today.
Au revoir aussi ! A., my dear,
You are quite right. Summer is here!"

molly said...

i already had love for rupert grint but that quote was just brilliant

WHY DOES MY SCHOOL LIBRARY NOT HAVE AN ALEX TURNER BOOK??? oh right cuz i dont go to proper school...but still, congratulations on that great find