Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I best get me some Birkenstocks.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


That's right, dear reader! Readers, on a good day... I am going to the liberal mecca of all liberal meccas, this Easter vacation... PORTLAND, OREGON! I'm pretty damn excited. While it will be gray and rainy and such, I am sure, how can I NOT be excited? The city offers valet parking for bikes! What could possibly compete with that?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


I just want to do a quick post to gloat let you know. I'll be writing an article about this later chapter in my jet-setting life for my school newspaper, so I'll post it here.

And also I wanted to share a few entertainment-related things. "Things" is such a boring word. How about... entities? No, that's not right. "Things" it is!

First: Every now and then, the hype machine gets it right (such as with Arctic Monkeys) and they've most certainly got it right this time. God, what an atrocious sentence. It sounds like something that would appear in my dismally horrible local paper. Blergh. But ANYWAY, I have recently be totally delving into the complete brilliance of Vampire Weekend. Their Upper-East-Side-prep-Afro-infused-jangly-indie-rock is irresitable.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


I'm also in awe of the sheer adorableness (DEFINITELY not a word) of the lead singer, Ezra Koenig. More people need to name their sons Ezra. It's just a great name. If you're geekily hot and skinny with a laid-back singing voice, it's just perfect. However, if you're the geeky hide-in-my-room-and-play-WOW-all-day type, it would better be classified as "unfortunate." It's how in how you carry it, my friends.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



Second, The Hush Sound released a new album yesterday, Goodbye Blues, and of course I already have downloaded it... from Limewire. Man, I'm so horrible. Why can't I just support my favorite artists? But moving on, it's a great album. Not quite as so-catchy-it-should-be-illegal as Like Vines, but still great. It has a BIT more of a bluesy feel to it, without sacrifice their bright indie-pop I love so much and both makes me wonder why they aren't more popular AND be really glad I have a band I get to call all mine (knock on wood) in the same thought.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



And thirdly, I am currently reading, just for a nice light read, Twilight. Perhaps you know it better as... the story of the girl who falls in love with the vampire? Well, I'm absolutely tearing through it, partly because it is really good and partly because the wording is super simple and the words are kind of big.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

A movie is actually being made with Kristen Stewart as the narrator and.....

ROBERT PATTINSON AS EDWARD (the vampire)!
Aka Cedric Diggory.
He's the reason I've watched Goblet of Fire so much. SO. SO. HOT.
The only thing that could ruin it is if his American accent sucks (coughJimSturgess21cough). I think he fits the character quite perfectly. So fingers crossed that they don't fuck up the book too badly.


Listen: Other than THS and Vampire Weekend, listen to "Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?" by She & Him. She being ZOOEY DESCHANEL and Him being M. Ward! Could you ask for a better pairing? I think not. This song is incredible. The simple summery swing to it is irresitable and Zooey's voice is coy and playful.

happy... spring holiday of your choosing!

a.

PS. When Chikezie Cheesy whatever screwed up "I've Just Seen A Face" on Idol last night (yes, I watch American Idol, shut your face) I had to listen to Jimmy Sturg's version immediately after to remind me how much I love that song. How dare you Cheesy????

2 comments:

Sister Libby said...

Portland is great. Seriously. Take it from a Pacific Northwester. And I LOVE VAMPIRE WEEKEND! And the I like the Wine Red song from your band...
haha. I basically like everything you wrote about.

Jaclyn said...

I watch Goblet of Fire for the same reason. lol. Twilight is on my reading list, I can't wait to read it.