Saturday, February 2, 2008

Gold teeth and a curse for this town were all in my mouth.

HAPPY GROUNDHOG DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing like a poor, confused animal being forced out of their hole only to be met with tons of flashes and news crews. Of course the animal's going to see it's shadow. Are you dull? Boy, am I proud to be a Pennsylvanian on Groundhog Day....


Since I just got Netflix, I've decided to do a post, a sort of review, on each new movie I see. Let me just say that Netflix has officially made me even more of a hermit than I previously was. On the weekends, I actually have an EXCUSE to stay in: "Oh, I've got a couple of movies I wanted to watch." It's brilliant.

So.

Garden State

Starring: Zach Braff, Natalie Portman, Peter Sarsgaard

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


I've heard so much about how incredible this movie was from the select few who could possibly be labeled as "indie" in my school. I always expect so much from movies, and am usually disappointed. I was kind of disappointed with this movie. There were really good parts, but there was just something missing, that spark that makes me sell my soul to the creators of the film.

Good: This is probably one of the most quotable films I've ever seen. Sometimes really simple lines can just be so absolutely pithy and perfect that they beg to be put in away messages. And I answered that call, friends. Because I have no less than 8 away messages with Garden State quotes alone. What's that? You want to know what they are? I was just thinking the same exact thing.

Sam (Natalie Portman): "You know what I do when I feel completely unoriginal? I make a noise or I do something that no one has ever done before. And then I can feel unique again even if it's only for like a second."

Sam: "What's the word that's burning in your heart?"

Tim: "By the way... it says BALLS on your face."

Sam: "This is your one opportunity to do something that no one has ever done before and that no one will copy throughout human existence. And if nothing else, you will be remembered as the one guy who ever did this. This one thing."

Sam: "I haven't even lied in like, the past two days."
Large (Zach Braff): "Is that true?"
Sam: "No."

Mark (Peter Sarsgaard): "I'm okay with being unimpressive. I sleep better."

Large: "Good luck exploring the infinite abyss."

Sam: "My hair is blowing in the wind."


They're even better in context.

I also liked the setting, and the little quirks that made the film so Jersey. The entire maternal side of my lineage comes from Jersey, and I have to say, I really can't stand that state. It's all highways and highways and highways and construction. But the film did a good job of showing what life is like there, I think. New Jerseyans have a lot of heart.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I couldn't help but like the character of Sam. A lot of people will find her incredibly annoying and unrealistic, but I just liked her. In less talented hands, Sam could have been given a thousand idiosyncracies to make her quirky, and it just would've been over the top. But Zach Braff gave Sam just enough--epileptic, a complusive liar, dead pet graveyard in the backyard--that she seemed real, like a girl you might actually meet. If Sam was a little less peppy, I might want to be her.

Also, the soundtrack. Who hasn't heard of this soundtrack? It really is gorgeous, with each song fitting each scene perfectly. From the odd haze of The Shins to the Indian-feel of "Lebanese Blonde" to the hushed sleepiness of Iron & Wine's cover of The Postal Service's "Such Great Heights," it is indie perfection.

But, there are always cons. One of things I didn't like was the story--it kind of confused me a little, and sometimes seemed to jump, leaving me with my head cocked staring at the screen with an extremely attractive "Whaaaaaa?" look on my face.

Oh, and the ENDING. I HATED THE ENDING. I won't give it away, because I'm just so kind, but my friend and I kept saying, "That was the end? Wait, THAT was the end? I was expecting... MORE." And it's true. I was definitely expecting more.

Garden State was a quirky, interesting film, but left me wanting that indescribable something. 3 1/2 stars.




In other movie news, check out the Prince Caspian trailer (Chronicles of Narnia, for those of you will more adult interests.)



Too bad there won't be any James McAvoy as a faun in this one. But I want to see it, because any movie with mystical lands, epic battles, New Zealand, and haunting choral music in the trailer is just fine with me. And William Moseley is really freaking hot.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Why are all French woman born with this chic gene? Marion Cotillard's dress is so simple and understated, but she looked more beautiful than all the woman in dresses that looked like someone had gotten their hands on a Bedazzler. I can't help but compare that dress to this painting, a favorite of mine:


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The woman in the painting is French. This is so not fair.


I suggest Cheap Trick's classic, "I Want You To Want Me." How can you not love this song?

peace.
a.

5 comments:

Sister Libby said...

Garden State is rather good. I love the part where Tim(is that his name?) is eating cereal in his suit of armor. Classic...

Wendy said...

I love Natalie Portman, she is a great actress and very gorgeous!

Elisabeth said...

Great Film; I adore Natalie Portman!

Jaclyn said...

Garden State sounds really good. I love quoteable movies they are so much fun. I really want Netflix, it sounds great.

Snookums said...

I hate the French. Not for being French, speaking French, or anything French in particular. But because that's how French people all tend to seem like.
Like they deserve a portrait painted for them.

And Garden State may be quotable, but is it even close to JUNO? No, I didn't think so.


Sorry about the lack of post about it. I just cannot think of how to sum it up. Plus, I got incredibly busy soon after. Oh, life, how you interrupt thee.

Another great post, by the way.

Keep at it! =)